St Andrew's Halls in Granville Street, 1955.
The Halls were designed by architect James Sellars (1843-1888) and built 1873-1877. Four plinths along the front of the building support groups of large figures sculpted by John Mossman (1817-1890). The two figures (Atlantes) on either side of the main entrance are by William Mossman (1824-1884). Inside were a grand hall, a ballroom, and several smaller halls, which were hired out for a wide variety of events and meetings.
The building was gutted by fire in 1962 although the facade survived. Reconstruction work began in 1972 to create the Mitchell Theatre and an annex connecting the building with the Mitchell Library.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.244 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, halls, Mitchell Library, Mitchell Theatre, sculptures, St Andrew's Halls, statues