"Glasgow School of Art - Library Wing", 1955.
The Glasgow School of Art was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928). The west wing of the building was built 1907-1909 during the second phase of construction. To the right are the three long oriel windows, 63 feet (19 metres) in height, which serve the library and the room above and are celebrated features of Mackintosh's design.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.243 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
entrances, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow Style, libraries, oriel windows