Looking north along Elderslie Street in 1955. In the distance are towers belonging to Trinity College (right) and Park Church (left). St George's Free Church can be seen in the foreground, left.
The theological college was designed by Charles Wilson and built for the Free Church of Scotland, 1856-1857. The tower in the photograph is one of three which adorn the building. The old thoeologial college was converted into flats in 1985-1986.
Park Church was built 1856-1858 but demolished in 1968 and only the tower remains.
St George's Free Church was designed by Boucher & Cousland in the Italian Renaissance style and opened in 1865. The building ceased to be a church in 1957, and was demolished c 1964.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.240 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
church towers, churches, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Park Parish Church, St George's Free Church, streetscenes, theological colleges, Trinity College