St Andrew's Ambulance Association headquarters in North Street, 1955.
St Andrew's Ambulance Association was founded in Glasgow in 1882. In 1928 the Association had headquarters built in North Street, but had to relocate to Milton Street in 1970 when the M8 motorway was built. The new headquarters were officially opened on 26 June by the Association's patron, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.238 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
ambulances, first aid, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, M8, motorways, St Andrew's Ambulance Association