Interior of the Albion Works in Scotstoun, 1955, showing various vehicle chassis Each bears a logo showing sunrays spreading from the "Albion" script, reflecting the company motto "Sure as the Sunrise". A range of vehicle chassis were made at Scotstoun for the firm's tractors, tippers, haulage lorries and other vehicles.
Albion Motors was established in 1899. The firm opened the purpose-built works at Scotstoun in 1903 and had begun to specialise in the manufacture of lorries by 1914. Albion merged with Leyland Motors in 1951 and became part of British Leyland in 1968. The Albion name was dropped in 1972. In 1986 the Scotstoun works became part of the Leyland DAF group. Leyland DAF went into receivership in 1993, but the automotive components part of the business was transferred to a new company, Albion Automotives, which revived the old name.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.237 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Albion Automotives, Albion Motor Car Co, Albion Motors, British Leyland Motor Co, chassis, factories, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Leyland DAF, Leyland Motor Co, logos, lorries, trucks