The Reading Room at the University of Glasgow, 1955.
Designed by T Harold Hughes and D S R Waugh, the Reading Room opened in 1939. The award-winning building was intended to stand in the centre of a quadrangle, which would contain a new library. The quadrangle was never built and 1968 a new multi-storey library opened in Hillhead Street, replacing some of the Victorian buildings which can be seen here to the left.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.225 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
gates, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow University Library, libraries, Reading Room, reading rooms, tenements, University of Glasgow buildings