Partick Central Station looking east, 1955. Castlebank Street is on the left, the station in the centre and the River Kelvin on the right of the photograph. The distinctive tower of the University of Glasgow is on the skyline.
Partick Central Station was built by the Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway Co in the 1890s. The railway line ran along the north bank of the Clyde, from Stobcross to Dumbarton via bustling industrial centres such as Scotsoun, Yoker, Clydebank and Bowling. The station was renamed Kelvin Hall in 1959. Passenger and general goods services ceased in 1964 but the sidings remained open until 1978 serving an oil depot and scrap metal merchant. The station building on the road bridge became a workshop and then an auction hall, and the goods yard served as a site for travelling people. In 2004 there are plans to build a supermarket there.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.223 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
auction houses, Caledonian Railway Co, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvin Hall Station, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway, Partick Central Station, railway sidings, railway stations, railways, River Kelvin, scrapyards, travelling people, University of Glasgow