The entrance to the Grosvenor Restaurant in Gordon Street, 1955.
This building was originally a warehouse, built speculatively by A & G Thomson from 1859 to 1861. The warehouse caught fire in 1864 but was rebuilt by 1866, apparently to the same design. In 1907 it was restructured by J H Craigie of Clarke, Bell & Craigie. A large superstructure containing the Grosvenor Restaurant was added, giving the present name to the building. The building was damaged again by fire in 1967 and rebuilt as office space, before further redevelopment in 1992.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.221 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
A & G Thomson, Clark, Bell & Craigie, doormen, fires, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Grosvenor Building, Grosvenor Restaurant, motor cars, restaurants, warehouses