The pleasure steamer Queen Mary II at Linthouse on a Sunday morning, 1955.
The Queen Mary was built in 1933 by William Denny & Bros of Dumbarton for Williamson-Buchanan Steamers. She could carry up to 1,500 passengers and operated on the Glasgow to Rothesay, Millport and Arran route. In 1934, in order to avoid confusion with the Cunard liner of the same name, her name was changed to Queen Mary II. In the late 1950s her engines were changed from coal to oil burning and her two funnels were replaced with one central funnel (the two funnels were restored in the 1980s).
Queen Mary II sailed on her last cruise from Largs to Rothesay on 27 September 1978. Bass Leisure Retail bought the ship in the 1980s and in 2004 she operates as a floating pub and restaurant in London.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.214 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Bass Leisure Retail, cranes, doon the watter, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, pleasure cruises, pleasure steamers, Queen Mary, Queen Mary II, River Clyde, ships, William Denny & Bros, Williamson-Buchanan Steamers