A little girl watches children playing in the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park on a hot summer day, 1955. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum can be seen on the skyline beyond the fountain.
The Gothic fountain was built in 1872 to commemorate the services of Lord Provost Robert Stewart of Murdostoun, "to whose unwearied exertions the citizens are mainly indebted for the abundant water-supply from Loch Katrine."
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.211 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
art galleries, bathing, children, fountains, girls, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Kelvingrove Park, Loch Katrine, Loch Katrine Water Scheme, Lord Provosts, museums, parks, public water supply, sculptures, Stewart Memorial Fountain, summer