Looking north towards the "spinster flats" in Partick, 1955.
The large white building in the middle distance is Crathie Court, a high rise block of flats built by Glasgow Corporation for unmarried women and nicknamed the "spinster flats". The main road to the left is Thornwood Avenue with Thornwood Primary School on the west side. Dominating the centre foreground are the railway lines crossing Dumbarton Road, linking the former Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway's main line with the old Glasgow Central Railway at Dawsholm via the former Kelvinside Station on Great Western Road. The L & D was built in the 1890s, and the loop line was closed to passengers in 1942. The bridges were removed some time after 1955.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.210 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
council houses, Crathie Court, Glasgow Central Railway, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, high rises, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway, primary schools, railway bridges, railway stations, railway tunnels, spinster flats, tenements, Thornwood Primary School, Thornwood Public School