Glasgow Central Station, looking east towards the Union Street entrance in 1955. Built by the Caledonian Railway Co, Central Station opened in 1879. The distinctive curved wooden concourse buildings were added between 1899 and 1905 under the direction of Engineer-in-chief Donald Matheson.
In 2004 the Enquiries and Reservations office to the left is a pub, while the subterranean gents' toilets accessed via the arch (centre) no longer provide the services of a hairdresser nor "wash-ups, baths and shoeshines.". The 15-feet high clock on the roof of the bookstall (right) was removed in 1966.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.198 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bookstalls, British Railways, Caledonian Railway Co, clocks, concourses, Enquiries and Reservations offices, Glasgow Central Station, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hairdressers, newsagents, railway stations, toilets