A small building at the site of Glebe Street Station, Townhead, 1955. According to legend, it had been the booking office of the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway.
Although the railway line had opened to Townhead in 1831, it was not until 1837 that the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway Co built a "small booking office" in Glebe Street to issue tickets to passengers. For many years it was believed that the small building shown here was the original booking office. However, when it was demolished in the mid-1960s it was discovered that the building had been constructed of stone railway sleepers, probably those discarded when the track was re-gauged in the 1840s. John Hume has identified the building as a crossing-keeper's hut.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.197 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
booking offices, crossing-keepers' huts, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway Co, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow, Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway Co, Glebe Street Station, railway stations, railways