A tug on standby at Yorkhill Quay on a November afternoon, 1955.
Originally a shallow river, the Clyde was deepened from the 18th century so that larger ships could travel up-river to the docks in Glasgow. However, the deep channel was narrow (only 300 feet across at best), dock entrances were narrow and the river was extremely busy with shipping. Powerful tugs were often required to tow ships into and out of the harbour.
Steel & Bennie tugs had a distinctive black and white funnel, just visible here through the fog. The firm was acquired by Cory Ship Towage in 1971.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.179 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
atmospheric pollution, Cory Ship Towage (Clyde), Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, lifebelts, quays, River Clyde, smog, Steel & Bennie, street lights, tugs, Yorkhill Quay