Jackson's store in Tron House on the corner of Albion Street and Trongate, 1955.
Tron House was designed by J T Rochead in a Scottish Baronial style and built in 1855 for the City of Glasgow Bank. The bank failed in 1878 and the ground floor of the building was subsequently occupied by a clothes store. Jackson's acquired the it from Todd, Cunninghame & Petrie in the early 1950s and refurbished the premises.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.175 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
banks, City of Glasgow Bank, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Jackson's, shops, Todd, Cunninghame & Petrie, Tron House