Two men standing in the entrance to Exchange Place, 1955. Behind them is the Royal Exchange building, which had become the home of Stirling's Library the previous year and which has housed the Gallery of Modern Art since 1996.
Exchange Place is one of two pedestrian passages which connect Buchanan Street to Royal Exchange Square. Each is entered by one of the archways which were built on either side of the Royal Bank of Scotland Building in the 1830s. The bank building became a bookshop in the 1990s.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.173 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
advertisements, arches, archways, Cunninghame Mansion, entrances, Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, GOMA, pedestrian precincts, posters, Royal Bank of Scotland, Royal Exchange, Stirling's Library, streetscenes