Hope Street, photographed in 1955 by C C Blackhouse.
This aerial view looks north along Hope Street. Just visible to the right is the Central Hotel. On the far side of Gordon Street is Standard Buildings, designed by James Thomson for Standard Life and built 1890. Two storeys were added in 1909, to a design by J B & W A Thomson. To the left of the picture is Central Chambers, originally the Blythswoodholme Hotel. It was designed by Peddie & Kinnear, built in 1877 and converted into offices in 1890 by J Dick Peddie.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.172 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
aerial views, Blythswoodholme Hotel, Central Chambers, Central Hotel, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hotels, J B & W A Thomson, offices, Peddie & Kinnear, Standard Buildings, Standard Life, streetscenes, trams