The interior of Blackfriars Parish Church in Dennistoun, 1955, showing the altar and font. The wooden panels at the back are decorated with carvings of Glasgow's coat of arms and a Celtic cross. The church was built in the 1870s and closed in 1983, the congregation merging with another in Whitehill Street to form Dennistoun Blackfriars Parish Church.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.168 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
altars, Blackfriars Parish Church, churches, coats of arms, crosses, Dennistoun Blackfriars Parish Church, fonts, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955