A school crossing patrol, 1955. The driver of the No 17 bus to Penilee waits patiently for the children to cross the road.
The School Patrol Act of 1953 allowed local authorities to set up crossing patrols at busy roads near schools, staffed by uniformed lollipop men and women. A national campaign to make children stop, look and listen before crossing the road was also launched that year by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) featuring Tufty the Traffic Safety Squirrel (the famous Tufty Club was introduced in 1961).
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.164 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
buses, children, crossing patrols, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, lollipop men, RoSPA, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, School Patrol Act, 1953, Tufty Club, Tufty the Traffic Safety Squirel