Shops in the Gallowgate, 1955.
Kelly's second-hand clothes shop is on the corner. To the right are a newsagent's and a butcher's shop, while round the corner in East Campbell Street are the Elim Tabernacle and McIver's Garage. In the background is the tower of St John's Parish Church. Built in 1819, the church stood at the head of McFarlane Street until demolition in 1962.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.163 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
butchers' shops, children, church towers, churches, confectioners, Elim Pentecostal Church, Elim Tabernacle, garages, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, McIver's Garage, newsagents, prams, second-hand clothes shops, second-hand clothing, St John's Parish Church, women