North Park House, the headquarters of BBC Scotland, in Queen Margaret Drive, 1955.
Built 1869-1871 for John and Matthew Bell (proprietors of the Glasgow Pottery), North Park House was purchased by Isabella Elder as the home for a women's college. Queen Margaret College opened in 1883 and teaching continued there until 1935, when classes were transferred to University of Glasgow premises at Gilmorehill. BBC Scotland moved into North Park House that same year from their premises in West George Street. The Corporation has announced that it intends to move from Queen Margaret Drive to new premises at Pacific Quay in 2006.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.162 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
BBC Scotland, British Broadcasting Corporation, Broadcasting House, broadcasting studios, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow Pottery, North Park House, Queen Margaret College, women students, women's education