A view of Victoria Park, 1955. To the left is the Partick and Whiteinch War Memorial which was erected in 1922. The granite cenotaph is surmounted by a winged figure of Victory created by F W Doyle-Jones. The ornamental lake lies beyond the memorial and there is a pavilion in the distance.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.151 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boating ponds, flowers, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, parks, pavilions, Victoria Park, Victory, war memorials