Two men sitting enjoying the sunshine in Cathedral Square, 1955. The gate behind them provides access to the "Bridge of Sighs", leading across the Molendinar Ravine to the Necropolis. The Knox Monument (to the left) towers above the other monuments in the cemetery.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.116 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
benches, Bridge of Sighs, cemeteries, entrances, gates, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, graveyards, Knox Monument, Molendinar Ravine, Necropolis, walking sticks