The Clyde Navigation Trust Building from the Broomielaw, 1955.
This building, on the corner of Broomielaw and Robertson Street, is described in The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow as "one of Glasgow's most important and impressive buildings". It was designed by J J Burnet and built by Morrison & Mason, 1883-1886. The splendid cornerpiece extension was added 1906-1908 by Alexander Muir & Sons. A portico of slim Composite columns rises above the entrance on Robertson Street and is decorated with sculptures by John Mossman (1817-1890). A concrete dome tops the extension, flanked with sculptures by Albert Hodge (1876-1918).
The row of buildings to the left (since demolished) is far plainer in style. The offices of Steel & Bennie, tug operators on the Clyde, can be seen on the corner.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.103 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Alexander Muir & Sons, bridges, Clyde Navigation Trust Building, Clydeport Building, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, King George V Bridge, Morrison & Mason, offices, post boxes, Steel & Bennie, streetscenes