Construction work at Dalmarnock Power Station in February 1955.
Dalmarnock Power Station was built by Glasgow Corporation in two stages, with phase one opening in 1920 and phase two in 1926. The station was transferred to the British Electricity Authority (BEA) in 1948 on the nationalisation of the industry. Originally planned to generate 100,000 kilowatts, Dalmarnock had more than doubled its output by the time of the transfer and had a capacity of 237,500 kilowatts following a series of improvements to the plant. Further upgrading work was required in the 1950s, to help meet the rising demand from 266,819 domestic and commercial consumers of electricity in the Glasgow sub-area.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.97 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
BEA, British Electricity Authority, construction sites, construction workers, Dalmarnock Power Station, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, nationalisation, navvies, power stations