Construction work at Dalmarnock Power Station, 1955, showing the concrete raft and steel piles for a new boiler house.
In 1890 Glasgow Corporation acquired the power to supply electricity for public and private uses. The Corporation began to construct a network of power and generating stations across the city and in 1897 set up an Electricity Department. Demand for electricity grew constantly (reaching 66 million units a year in 1914), prompting the Electricity Department to construct a new power station at Dalmarnock which opened in 1920. The industry was nationalised in 1948 and by 1955, 987 million units of electricity a year were sold annually in Glasgow.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.96 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boiler houses, British Electricity Authority, concrete, construction sites, cranes, Dalmarnock Power Station, electricity, foundations, Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, piles, power stations, rafts, skips, wheelbarrows, workmen