"Prefabs" at Torbreck Street, Craigton, in 1955.
In the years after the Second World War, there were shortages of traditional house building materials and skilled labour. Prefabricated bungalows were built as a short-term solution to the problem. The frames and panels were made using many non-traditional materials such as aluminium, steel, corrugated iron and asbestos. The components were then taken to prepared sites and assembled there. The bungalows were intended to last around ten years, but many remained in use until the end of the 20th century.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.90 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bungalows, council houses, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, housing estates, housing schemes, lamp posts, non-traditional housing, prefabricated houses, prefabs, street lighting