Tennis practice at Drysdale Recreation Ground, 1955.
In 1955 there were 129 Corporation tennis courts in Glasgow, used by around 208,000 players a year. There were also many courts owned privately by tennis clubs and other organisations. This tennis court may have a staff facility provided by Drysdale & Co, the Yoker pump manufacturers.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.79 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Drysdale & Co, Drysdale Recreation Ground, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, pump manufacturers, tennis courts, tennis players, women