St Andrew's Footbridge looking south across the River Clyde, 1955. The wrought iron suspension bridge was built in 1854-1855 to replace a ferry crossing. It is 67 metres long and connects McNeil Street in Hutchesontown with Glasgow Green. There is a rowing boat passing below the bridge, probably from the boathouse on the edge of the Green that was used by the University of Glasgow and the Glasgow Rowing Clubs.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.78 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Green, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, River Clyde, rowing boats, St Andrew's Footbridge, suspension bridges, wrought iron