Building a new boiler house at Dalmarnock Power Station, 1955.
In 1913 Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department bought land at Dalmarnock to build a new 100,000 kilowatt coal-fired power station. The outbreak of war in 1914 halted the work and it was not until 1920 that the first part of the power station opened. The second phase of work was completed in 1926. The growing demand for electricity led to various additions and enlargements over the years, including the construction of a new boiler house in 1955, seven years after the nationalisation of the electricity industry. Dalmarnock Power Station has been demolished.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.72 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boiler houses, construction sites, Dalmarnock Power Station, Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, labourers, navvies, power stations, scaffolding