The goldfish pond in the Kibble Palace at the Botanic Gardens, 1955.
The Kibble Palace glasshouse was built in 1865 for John Kibble, the son of a wealthy industrialist, at his home in Coulport. He offered it to the Royal Botanic Institution of Glasgow and it was re-erected with additions in the Botanic Gardens in 1872-1873. The Botanic Gardens and the Kibble Palace became the responsibility of Glasgow Corporation in 1891 when the Burgh of Hillhead was annexed by the city. The gardens and the Kibble Palace have been popular with generations of Glaswegians and a £7 million project to renovate the 140-years old glasshouse is due to begin in summer 2004, with completion due in 2006.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.69 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Botanic Gardens, boys, children, conservatories, families, girls, glasshouses, goldfish ponds, Kibble Palace, parks