The bridge carrying Ruchill Street over the Forth and Clyde Canal, 1955. The bridge was replaced in 1990. Ruchill Parish Church, on the corner with Shakespeare Street, is in the background.
Ruchill United Presbyterian Church was designed by Neil C Duff (d 1934) and built 1903-1905 from red Locharbriggs stone. The church hall (not included in this view) was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) and built 1899 originally for the Westbourne Free Church. It is separated from the church by a courtyard.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.68 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bridges, canals, church towers, churches, cottages, Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, parks, Ruchill Parish Church, Ruchill Parish Church Halls, Ruchill United Presbyterian Church