The pony ride, Gemmel Street in Bridgeton, 1955. A crowd of excited small children have gathered around a man offering rides on his horse and carriage.
Gemmel Street (known as James Street until the 1920s) lay between Crownpoint Street and Forbes Street. It disappeared during the redevelopment of the East End during the 1980s.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.67 / Og.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boys, children, girls, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, horses and carriages, pony rides