A "scramble" in Gemmel Street, Bridgeton, 1955. Originally called James Street, Gemmel Street disappeared during the redevelopment of the East End during the 1980s.
Scrambles were a tradition at weddings in many parts of Scotland, when neighbours turned out to see the bridal party leave the street on its way to the church. Coins were thrown from the wedding car (usually by the father of the bride) as it drove off and children scrambled to pick up as many as they could. The scramble was sometimes repeated outside the church after the wedding ceremony, when the groom would scatter coins before the couple departed.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.66 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boys, children, girls, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, motor cars, scrambles, weddings, women