The view looking east along Great Western Road, early one morning in 1955.
In the distance are the spires of Lansdowne Parish Church and (behind it) of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral. The distinctive clock tower of Cooper & Co's grocery store and offices on the corner of Bank Street is on the right. The roadway is formed of granite setts.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.65 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
buses, churches, clock towers, clocks, Cooper & Co, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, granite setts, Lansdowne Parish Church, motor cars, shops, spires, St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, streetscenes