The repair dock at Maryhill Basin on the Forth and Clyde Canal, 1955.
Kelvin Dock was built in the late 18th century by the Forth and Clyde Canal Co. McNicoll Bros built and repaired boats there from 1922 until the 1950s. In the background, centre, is a tenement at Maryhill Cross which was demolished in 1978.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.64 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boat builders, boat repairers, boats, boatyards, canals, docks, Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvin Dock, Maryhill Basin, McNicoll Bros, tenements