A street cleaner working in Gemmel Street (previously called James Street and now demolished) in Bridgeton, 1955. Prams line the pavement and the neighbourhood's children have come out to play.
In 1955 the Cleansing Department employed 2,501 staff to collect and dispose of 450,782 tons of refuse a year. The Head Office was at 33 Stockwell Street and there were also twenty District Depots across the city.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.61 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
children, Cleansing Department, dustcarts, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, prams, street cleaners, streetscenes