An exhibition about nuclear energy in Kelvingrove Park, 1955.
Atoms for Peace was organised by the United States Information Service in collaboration with the UK Atomic Energy Authority. The travelling exhibition had toured several western European countries before opening in Glasgow on 7 July 1955. Since the introduction of nuclear weapons during the Second World War, there had been a great deal of official secrecy about nuclear energy in the interests of national security. The exhibition was intended to inform the general public about nuclear energy and its peacetime uses. These included the generation of power, to reduce the demand for dwindling stocks of coal, and the creation of isotopes for use in medicine, industry and agriculture.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.59 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
atomic power, exhibitions, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, isotopes, Kelvingrove Park, nuclear energy, nuclear power, parks, towers, United Kingdom Atomic Energy Agency, United States Information Service, University of Glasgow buildings