Hillington Industrial Estate, 1955.
Opened in 1938, Hillington was the first industrial estate in Scotland. Although a large Rolls-Royce factory was subsequently built there, most of the units were small and set among well-maintained lawns and flowerbeds in a pleasant working environment. The estate continues to thrive in 2004 although retail units and service industries have taken the places of many of the original factories.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.57 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
factories, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Hillington Industrial Estate, industrial estates, streetscenes