The boating pond on Great Western Road, c 1955.
Bingham's Pond was created in the 1880s on the site of old brick and coal pits. The boathouse was built c 1885 and became a tea room. The eastern part of the site was sold in 1956 and in the 1960s that part of the pond was in-filled and a hotel and a car park were built there. The remaining part of the site was acquired by the Corporation for a public park.
In 2003 an island was formed in the pond as a sanctuary for swans and other birds.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.54 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Bingham's Pond, boathouses, boating ponds, boys, brick-clay pits, children, coal mines, fishing, Glasgow Corporation, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hotels, parks, rowing boats