Second hand books being sold from a barrow opposite the Clydesdale and North of Scotland Bank, 1955. The number of second hand book dealers trading from barrows fell sharply after the Second World War, but some continued to occupy pitches on and in the side streets leading off Renfield Street.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.47 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
banks, barrows, booksellers, Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank, fashions, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, granite setts, second-hand book dealers, second-hand books, street traders, traffic lights, women