Bingham's Pond off Great Western Road, c 1955. Four boys are shown sitting looking down at rowing boats on the pond on a hot summer day.
The pond was created in the 1880s and took its name from the Bingham family, who hired out boats in summer and organised skating in winter. It was once a fashionable destination for West Enders on a Sunday stroll along Great Western Road. The site was sold in 1956 and the eastern end of the pond was filled and a hotel was built on the site.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.43 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Bingham's Pond, boathouses, boating ponds, children, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, parks, promenading, rowing boats, strolling, summer, tea rooms