The view looking north-west from St Enoch Station, 1955.
The photograph shows the north part of St Enoch Square. The building behind the bus, left of centre, was a tourist information office. To the right is a branch of the Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank, created by a merger of the two banks in 1949. Facing the square, on the corner of Argyle Street and Buchanan Street, is the magnificent warehouse built 1900-1903 for Stewart & Macdonald and acquired by House of Fraser in 1951.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.42 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
banks, buses, Clydesdale & North of Scotland Bank, department stores, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, House of Fraser, motor cars, railway stations, St Enoch Station, Stewart & Macdonald, taxis, vans, warehouses