Yorkhill Quay, the berth of the famous Anchor Line, 1955.
The Anchor Line had a fleet of nine ships in 1955. Three served the Atlantic routes to North America. The other six (three passenger ships and three cargo carriers) sailed to Bombay (now known as Mumbai) in India.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.40 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Anchor Line (1935), gangways, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, liners, motor cars, prams, quays, ships, women