Steel & Bennie's tug Brigadier in action, 1955. This tug has a sharp stern, a design which was later phased out on Clyde tugs.
The tug company Steel & Bennie was originally called the Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Co and subsequently became Cory Ship Towage (Clyde), a member of the Ocean Group.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.35 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Brigadier, cargo ships, Cory Ship Towage (Clyde), Glasgow & Greenock Shipping Co, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, River Clyde, Steel & Bennie, tugs