"Loading on the Clyde for Africa", 1955.
In 1946 the Clyde Navigation Trust bought the Newshot, a self-propelled floating crane with a lifting capacity of 60 tons that was built in Paisley. Apart from the floating elevators used to unload grain at Prince's Dock, the Newshot was the Trust's only cargo-handling craft.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.32 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
cargo ships, Clyde Navigation Trust, exports, floating cranes, Glasgow Harbour, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, quays, River Clyde