Lancefield Quay, 1955.
Taken from the south bank of the River Clyde, this photograph shows ships lying moored along Lancefield Quay (right) and Mavisbank Quay (left), and the Finnieston Ferry crossing to the north bank. From 1890, the passenger ferry on this busy crossing operated alongside a vehicular ferry service.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.31 / OG.1055.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
cranes, docks, Finnieston Ferry, Glasgow Harbour, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Lancefield Quay, Mavisbank Quay, passenger ferries, quays, River Clyde, ships