A floating crane on the Clyde, 1955.
The Government sent the first floating cranes to operate in Glasgow Harbour during the Second World War. In 1946 the Clyde Navigation Trust spent £65,000 on a self-propelled floating crane, the Newshot.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.30 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Clyde Navigation Trust, floating cranes, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Newshot, River Clyde, ships