Govan Cross in 1955. A traffic policeman directs the evening traffic while two women cross the road.
In the background to the left is the Pearce Monument, standing in front of Brechin's Bar. It is a bronze statue of the local MP and shipyard-owner Sir William Pearce who died in 1888. The building with the clock (right) is the Pearce Institute, commissioned by Lady Dinah Pearce in memory of her late husband. It was built 1902-1906 and designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in the style of a large 17th century Scottish town house. The Institute contained several facilities including a library and reading rooms, a gymnasium and a hall for dances or meetings. The building fell into disrepair at the end of the 20th century and closed in 2002. However, it is being refurbished in 2004 and there are plans to develop it as a community centre.
The monument behind the bus, at the entrance to Govan Old Parish Church at the far end of the Institute, is Govan's war memorial.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.27 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Black Man, clocks, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Lyceum Cinema, Pearce Institute, Pearce Monument, Pearce Statue, Routemaster buses, statues, streetscenes, traffic policemen, war memorials, women