Cycling teams and on-lookers outside the City Chambers in Cochrane Street, 1955.
Bicycles became very popular after the Second World War, partly as a method of getting to work but also for racing and touring at the weekends. The 1950s are now seen as a Golden Era in Scottish bicycle manufacturing. The largest firm in Scotland was Argyle Cycles (previously the Glasgow Cycle Co) but many smaller firms also existed. One example is David Rattray & Co of Glasgow, which acquired an excellent reputation for hand-built touring and racing bikes.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.23 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Argyle Cycles, bicycle racing teams, bicycles, bikes, cycling, cyclists, David Rattray & Co, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Cycle Co, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, policemen